May 28, 2013

Ilford Delta 100 on Olympus OM-10 and G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

Colorless grass field

My friend Eric Flexyourhead lent me his Olympus OM-10 (which had the G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 on it) since I wanted to use an old camera as a subject for an assignment I was doing with Ming Thein. I took advantage since Eric let me use the OM-10 and it was perfect timing since my Nikon FE still has film in it and it's acting up. Perfect timing because I wanted to try the Ilford Delta 100 for the first time and I do not have any other film camera. I was inspired by Ming's BW images and the rich tonal characteristics of the film. Pair the Delta 100 with a sharp lens and viola, I now have a favourite BW film.


First, the camera and lens I used. To produce such great tonality it's a combination of the film plus lens. It's not really the camera.

OLYMPUS
Olympus OM-10 and G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 Teaser
OLYMPUS

The G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 is sharp, no doubt. Just look at the BW images below. I used an Epson V500 to scan the images and all I did after is to sharpen for web posting. I love the rich blacks and whites you get from film. There's almost no equivalent in digital, perhaps the Leica Monochrom is an exception. The OM-10 though plus lens is less than $100 while the Leica Monochrom is $7,950. There's the cost of film and development but if I were to do it I think I'd settle with film and an analog camera. Perhaps a Hasselblad or even go cheap with a Mamiya. The experience is just different when shooting an analog camera. I know the rangefinder experience is also different but there's no way I'd spend $7,950 for a digital black and white camera. I have to shoot A LOT of film before I can spend ~$8K and there's also the life of the camera. I think a Hasselblad or Mamiya with any lens can outlive the life of a Leica Monochrom. 

A Tear Fell from the Ocean's Eye
Garbage bins
 Brick wall bokeh

I have to shoot it wide open and experiment. The G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 is also pretty sharp wide open and renders great bokeh.

Ilford Delta 100 on OM-10 and G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4
Ilford Delta 100 on OM-10 and G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4
Ilford Delta 100 on OM-10 and G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

For some reason the film came out wider than 4x6. It's more pronounced at the verticals, look at how tall they appear. 

Lastly, some squares. I just had to crop to better suit the subject. 

Ilford Delta 100 on Olympus OM-10 and G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4
Ilford Delta 100 on Olympus OM-10 and G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4
Ilford Delta 100 on Olympus OM-10 and G. Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

EP.

No comments:

Post a Comment